October 04, 2005

Some guys have all the luck....

Although I have not been playing for years, I have read enough to know that everyone run's cold. Sometimes it's short lived, like the morning frost in early fall, that has all melted away with the rising sun.
Then there's the kind of luck people like me have, almost all bad. It's more like the seasons here in Minnesota, it's mostly cold year round, with only a small reprieve that is summer. I run mostly cold, most of the time, and luke warm streaks are the exception. That's how I view my 'luck'. I use the term loosely, because I try to convince myself that there really is no such thing as luck. The cards are coming or they are not, I'm playing well or I'm not, the other players are better than me, or they are not. But those factors just cannot explain some of the horrific beats, at the most crucial times. The only other explanation is that the powers of the universe just don't like me.
In an online game once, someone commented that you need either luck or skill, I promptly replied that I had both! I'm sure everyone was thinking I was a total braggart, but I qualified my statement by following up with; "I have some skill, and a lot of luck, all bad, which makes me a slightly above average player."
I honestly believe that. My level of skill, combined with my runs of bad luck put me just above average, whatever that means.
I will no longer play any limit games, I just can't force people out of hands, and my luck is no match against theres. No Limit is the only game where I can somewhat mitigate the luck factor. I either have it before the flop, or flopped it, and I'm making sure no one catches up to me.
I have the kind of luck that when I flop the full house, the other guy flopped a set, and catches runner runner Kings for the bigger full, or my flopped top 2 pair is up against the flopped set, or my AA's are up against KK's in a WSOP satellite, only to see a King on the flop.
That's the kind of luck I have, that is, if I believed in luck.

No comments: