April 17, 2006

Back in the game - Longest Session Yet

Despite some success early last year in ring games and tournements, things turned bad quickly.
I played some online low limit and SNG's online, and some of the local free bar tourneys. Neither of which helped my game. In fact, I believe they further eroded the waning skills I had developed.
I had all but given up for a while, resolving myself to be a casual player. Maybe play a small game with friends, and suffer through those free bar poker games.
But how could I resist when long time poker buddy Rooty IM's me, and gives me a great salesman pitch on how he NEEDS to go play. How can I refuse a friends sincere request for some company on his trip to the B&M.
I usually hit 6/12 when at this particular B&M. I'm comfortable with the stakes and the players, occasionally bumping to 8/16 for a challenge. Rooty just wanted to have a nice easy day, so we both get on the board for 4/8.
Thanks to a new table opening, me and Rooty get on the same table. In my typical play style, I started loose and aggressive, dumping my first $100 within the first hour.
Second rack, I tighten up to tight/passive, then the cards started coming, and moved into tight/aggressive. Along with the cards, the chips came too, soon I was even, then $100 up. As the night went on, my stack grew, players came, busted, and went. Eventually, the influx of fresh fish resulted in our table breaking. We got re-assigned, Rooty and I get the same table again.
It's late, really late, and as I survey the table, there's some young guys, but the majority of them just seem to be those few that are trying (way paste their bed times) to re-claim some of what they have lost. I keep up my tight play, watch for weakness, and push aggressively.
The night drags on, a few more bust out, and finally call it quits, while the fish keep buying rack after rack. This is one of the first times I looked around a table and felt absolutely confident I was the best player there, and had every sucker picked, evaluated, and attack plan orchestrated to take every one of their chips.
They start getting tired, and I'm getting wired. It's like the chum in the water. Night time is my time, always been a night person. I can smell their fatigue, and I push, I get more aggressive, keep the stress on them, let them keep making their mistakes, and pull in the chips.
I didn't want to leave! But the game was drying up, and it was getting early, in the morning. I could get little action, and decided to call it a night, with 4X my buy in to cash out.
It was a 16 hour straight session, and I wanted to go on forever!

Big thanks to Rooty for getting me back in the game.

No comments: